Look up anything.

Sunday 7 August 2011

Carpe Party---"Seize the Party"


Friday night was possibly one of the best nights. ever.   After 45
minutes of photos and laughs at predrinks we headed over to St.Anne's to meet our partners.  The poor Michaelhouse boys, they had been there since 6pm and the  majority of girls arrived at 6:45.  However everyone looked so glammed-up and beautiful I'm sure the guys didn't mind the wait.  The Hilton bus was still on its way so I met my friends' partners who were from Michaelhouse--they're all very European and have the spiky
styled hair (very un-American, hey?). 


The only way one can tell apart Michaelhouse guys from Hilton guys by their appearance (yes, there is an attitude/humor difference as well!) is the difference between the emblem on their blazer and their ties.  So when navy blue and white ties (Hilton's) began walking around I knew that Johnny had to be somewhere close.  I wove my way around the candy-cane ties (Michaelhouse) and some other ties from other surrounding boys' boarding schools until the back of a head looked familiar--I was right, it was Johnny's head!  Now don't judge me for the struggle to find Johnny; at 6:45 pm the sun's already gone down and there was a light drizzle Friday night. 

Johnny presented me with flowers and I thanked him graciously.  (I'm so glad I
asked him to be my partner--he was so funny and talkative the whole night and
all of my housemates couldn't stop raving: "Your partner is so much fun!")  Then the introducing began--everyone wanted to meet the "American couple" and so we were constantly introducing ourselves and each other to our various housemates/friends.  At 7pm it was time to "lead in"--mind you, that doesn't just mean "walk into the dining hall"...OH NO, it means "go through a screaming tunnel of all of the St.Anne's girls that are blocking your way to the dining hall and shouting your name and taking your photo like you're a celebrity".    Not that I had any problem with celebrity treatment (heehee). However all the guys were quite intimidated by the idea of walking through 300 wild St.Anne's girls but when we told them that they wouldn't get food unless they went through the tunnel...well, let's just say we're pretty convincing.  We began the trek from the bottom of the front lawn to the dining hall. 

Once we were actually inside we were directed to a place for photos--kinda like the prom photos with the backdrop that you see in the movies.  Then the line continued into the actual dining room that was decorated in the Tiffany & Co. colors--it's amazing what a few Marilyn Monroe posters and candles can do to a bleak dining hall.  But it wasn't time to chow down yet--we had to introduce our partners to Mr. Arguile, St.Anne's headmaster.  He was standing there with his wife and as the pairs of partners got closer to Mr.Arguile eventually it was time for Johnny and me.  With my arms still holding onto Johnny's I said: "Mr.Arguile, I'd like to introduce my partner, Johnny."  Johnny said: "Pleased to meet you, sir."  And Mr. Arguile's response was "Oh, an American accent!  Have fun at the formal." After almost a half hour of bustling around taking photos, saying hi to everyone, and seeing everyone's dresses the meal actually started.  We had chicken (surprise, surprise, we have it everyday practically), potatoes, and vegetables.  Then end of the evening was topped off by a beautiful sparkly blue cupcake.


In between dinner and dessert the dancing began and it was that fun group kind of dancing where everyone is jumping on one foot and singing along!   Not the awkward grinding that happens in the USA.  To bring back the memory of one of the most quotable speeches that Mr.Wall, the head of the CLS Upper School, gave to us the night before Homecoming or Sadies, he said, and I quote, "Don't grind lest ye be ground".  If only kids at CLS actually took his advice they'd see that group jowling is so much more fun.  Around midnight us Stoners aka Mollie Stone girls (some of us dancing and some of us skipping and some of us shuffling into our house) said goodnight to Ms.Mansfield (our house mom who was patiently waiting at the door, like a mom waiting to hear every detail of the party) and our heads were still filled with a sparkling memory but we realized: this fabulous night had come to a close.  Now it was time to take off all the makeup, remove the 5 inches we'd earned with the help of heels,  take down the hair.  But it had truly been a night to capture--in photos and memory.  But it wasn't time to sigh and curse at the inevitable passage of time because there was still something to look forward to:

THE AFTERPARTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I can't reveal all the details of the hectic afterparty because:
  1. I wouldn't do it justice
  2. We all enjoy a bit of privacy, right? 
  3.  If I tell you about how awesome my afterparty is then you'll have ridiculously high expectations for YOUR afterparty and you will end up being disappointed.
If you are really oh-so-curious about the crazy details then please write me a hand written letter with a kind request.

So with all of that in mind, let me just say: IT WAS AWESOME.  Hands down it's in the top 5 weekends of my life.  It was one of those rare occasions when I have no inhibitions, no worries, no nothing.  You just go with the flow.  And honestly, that's what a worth while afterparty is all about. 

No matter how much stress goes into the shoes, the dress, the hairdo, or the makeup, when it's time to party, hey, it's time to party.  Live in the moment and don't worry about the details.  Be realistic with your expectations but when your imagination is spreading its empire, run with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment