Look up anything.

Friday 29 July 2011

South African Slang List

People in Michigan call it "pop" , my dad calls it "cola" and everyone else calls it "soda".  Slang is EVERYWHERE and it can certainly change the course of a conversation if someone has no idea what a word means.  Hence, I am starting a ZA slang list that is imperative for any foreigner that wishes to blend in.

South African Slang-->American Translation + example
bru---brother (Wassup, my bru?)
chuffed---happy (She was so chuffed when she saw all As on her report card!)
crusty---nasty (Her hair was so crusty after going three days without a shower)
hosing--laughing hysterically (When I told her the joke about the two muffins in the oven she was hosing herself!)
jam--jelly (It still works to say PB&J in South Africa since the J can stand for jam or jelly!)
jelly---jello (When I was sick all I wanted was that blue jelly)
jersey--shirt (She got syrup on my jersey!?!?! Noooooo)
jesus sandals--cheap leather sandals (I heard the party is going to be pretty casual--I'll just wear my jesus sandals!)
joll/rage/rave---party (It's a shame I can't remember last night, I heard it was a sick joll)
keen--- want to do something badly (I am so keen to go on exchange--I'd do anything!)
late for you--doesn't work in your favor (Dude, never wear that shirt again--it's late for you.)
rashing--annoying (Really, guys? Can you please stop making those noises--you are so rashing!)
sherbet--darn (Sherbet! I dropped my sherbet!)
shot--thanks (Bru, shot for dropping my stuff off last night)
skiff--- to judge, to eye up and down (Emma and Mary had always been enemies and it was obvious when they skiffed each other in the hallway)
smart---sharp (Stacy London and Clinton Kelly, hosts of What Not to Wear, always wear such smart shoes)
varsity--university/college (I'm trying to get as far away from my parents as possible...I'll go to varsity in England!)

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog via your Facebook post! I'm so happy to read that you're having such a wonderful time already. Snow in July - who wouldn't be having fun?!? I look forward to reading more about your South African adventures. Love, your cousin from many, many, miles away, Heather.

    ReplyDelete